Pumpkin Spice Krispie Treats: A Festive Dessert in 10 Minutes!

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats

Today is the first day of fall!! But even so, pretty much the second the calendar struck September I was already moving my scarf rack to the front of my closet.

I. Love. Fall. And I think everyone loves fall, really, but when you spend the first 22 years of your life pretending fall has come every September, you can’t really love fall, because you don’t really know what fall is. It would be like saying you love foie gras without ever having eaten it {and I wouldn’t recommend doing so}. So when you get to experience fall actually happening? Like, for real? Well, it’s pretty darn exciting. Where I’m from, the high outside is still 95 degrees this time of year. So you can imagine how pumped I was when I was walking to work and saw this on the way to the train:

Fall in New England

Fall is peeking through the trees! So naturally, the entire train ride to work my brain was buzzing with fall-themed projects for the blog, and when I got into work my boss had brought in Pumpkin Munchkins from Dunkin! And that’s when it hit me.

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats

Why have I never added pumpkin flavoring to my rice krispie treats?? I make them every fall, so why not??

If you’re trying to get in the mood for fall and the heat or humidity outside has still got you down, these ooey gooey pumpkiny rice krispie treats will do the trick–I promise! Plus, they only take about 10 minutes to make! Well, that is, if you like your treats when they’re still warm and gooey like I do :)

THE RECIPE
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats

To get started, gather your ingredients. I just used canned pumpkin, but I imagine that fresh pumpkin would taste even better! Since it’s just Josh and I at home {and since I wasn’t sure if this rice krispie experiment would turn out disastrous–don’t worry, it didn’t!}, I went halfsies with the above full recipe on my first go.

THE DIRECTIONS

Step 1. Plop your butter into a large pan on medium low heat and let it melt.

Step 2. Add your marshmallows. The typical recipe {from the marshmallow bag} calls for 5 1/2 cups marshmallows {the little ones}, but since you will be adding pumpkin, you want to reduce the overall goo so your treats aren’t too wet, which is why I recommend only 4 cups marshmallows. It’s up to you, though!

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats

Step 3. When your marshmallows have melted, add your pumpkin** (see below!!) and spices and stir. Add more or less of your spice mix to taste.

***IMPORTANT UPDATE 10.18.13: I have gotten some feedback from some of you lovely readers that your treats are turning out too moist. If this applies to you, I would recommend reducing the total amount of pumpkin in this recipe to closer to 1/8 cup and/or consider placing your pumpkin on several layers of paper towels until much of the moisture in the pumpkin is absorbed. One reader found this did just the trick! Also, allow your marshmallow mixture to cool for 10-20 minutes or so {use your judgement} before adding the rice krispie cereal. This should help with the moisture issue. If you’re still finding your treats more moist than you would like, consider eliminating the pumpkin altogether and just include the cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice! It will still taste great :)***

Step 4. Toss in your Rice Krispies cereal and stir.

Step 5. Pour your treat mix into a 9×13 baking pan that has been greased, preferably with a little melted butter.  Using wax paper, flatten out your treats.

Step 6. Wait a few minutes for everything to cool, then enjoy!

Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats

I hope you enjoy these Pumpkin Spice Krispie Treats as much as I did! I may or may not have eaten a few too many this morning…

How do you jazz up your treats for fall?

Be sure to stay tuned for more fall festivities at Essentially Eclectic, friends! I can’t wait to share EE’s first fall with you :)

***
Want to stay up to date on the latest at Essentially Eclectic?
Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin’ | Google+ | Pinterest

Comments

1. says

Oh my! This is so nice & quick too!! Gona try it for sure. Will be making this for my boyfriend and I am sure he will drool over it like crazy ;) .. The Ricey flakey taste is gona be crunchy and irresisitable I am sure!
    Love it to bits xoxo
    Jessica x

2. says

These look fun – I will be trying them! I have fresh pumpkin, but the water content of fresh pumpkin is a lot higher than canned, so I’m going to try to simmer it on the stove for a while before adding butter/marshmallows. No one wants soggy Rice Krispie treats!

3. Anonymous says

Was very excited to make these Fall treats, but they turned out soggy. I followed the recipe exactly, but I think the extra moisture in the pumpkin takes the crisp out of the cereal and it made the texture stale and chewy. The flavor was really nice, so I was really disappointed this didn’t work out.

• says

Oh no!! Hmmm perhaps it was the type of pumpkin you used? These can turn out not-good (as you unfortunately discovered) if they are too moist, so I would perhaps try reducing the pumpkin to 1/8 cup? You really just need a bit for a pumpkiny flavor. Mine turned out less crunchy than regular rice krispie treats but not soggy. I’ve not tried this yet but I’m tempted to try it without the pumpkin altogether!

• Charlene says

I had the same problem with mine. Instead of using pumpkin the next time I made them, I used pumpkin pie spice. They were FANTASIC!

4. says

These were delicious! Yes, allowing the marshmallow mixture to cool totally did the trick. I cut back on the pumpkin also and added a bit of allspice. They turned out so yummy! Thank you for sharing!! <3

5. beth says

Another cute idea is to make these into little balls and top with a tootsie roll to look like little pumpkins. I’m excited to try this recipe for my daycare Halloween party this week! I like how the pumpkin makes it a teeny bit more healthy!

6. Nicole says

Thank you for the recipe. I don’t know if I did something wrong, but my treats did not come out Krispy. They taste great, but they seem stale. Any tips for this or sis this happen to anyone else?

• Gabby says

Hi Nicole! Yes, apparently that has been happening. I’ve found that if you let the marshmallow mixture cool for 10-20 minutes (use your judgment) and reduce the pumpkin to 1/8 cup, things turn out just fine! I used a full 1/4 cup and was ok, though–up to you. Some readers have tried this and said it helped a lot! :)

7. Cheryl says

I made these last night and i too had a problem with the treats being moist or gooey. They are good but they are really soft. Next time i will do as you suggest and let the mix cool first before adding the cereal and i will reduce the pumpkin. The pumpkin spice marshmallows seems to melt faster also than than regular marshmallows so i turned the heat to really low. This is a great recipe and just needs a bit of refining to perfection. Thanks for sharing this!

8. Barb says

I made these today, but I made some changes that fixed the too wet problem. First I put the full 1/4 cup pumpkin on several layers of paper towels until all the moisture was absorbed, then I mixed in the spices. I put the butter and a full 10oz bag of marshmallows in the microwave for 1.5 minutes, stirred, and cooked for another 1.5 minutes. I mixed the pumpkin into the melted marshmallows – you have to stir hard and fast. Last I mixed in the cereal and spread in the pan. They are nice and crunchy and pumpkin-y. I think next time I would leave out the extra cinnamon, but that’s just a matter of taste. You could still do this on the stove, but getting the moisture out of the pumpkin first seems to keep them crunchy.Thank you for the idea.

9. Michelle says

Maybe try making a pumpkin flavored frosting or glaze to top these treats with. Then you all get the pumpkin flavor without the soggy treats. I haven’t tried it myself, but it could be scrumptious.

10. Ann says

Haven’t tried these yet, but the kiddos love RK treats so this will be a must after-school snack.!

Just a few thoughts based on comments of these being too ‘moist’. I’ve heard that brands of pumpkin puree other than Libby’s tend to have a higher moisture content (which might be contributing to the problem). I’ve always used Libby’s pumpkin puree and don’t have problems with it. Also, my mom’s trick of cooking the puree for a couple of minutes in a sauce pan would dry this mixture out a bit as well. This caramelizes the pumpkin, which also adds depth of flavor. I’d hate to reduce the pumpkin in this treat because I love it soooo much. When I try these, I will sauté the butter, pumpkin and spices for a couple of minutes and then add the marshmallows. Can;t wait to try these!!!