DIY Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balm

Hello friends! In case you missed my guest post at The Girl Creative from a while back, I thought I would share it with you here! Guest posting was awesome AND it was one of my blogging goals, so huge thank you to Diana for giving me the opportunity to put a big check mark next to that one :) Now, to the post!

After a lot of thought, I decided that this post is the perfect opportunity to make a confession to you all that I’ve been needing to get off my chest:

I am a slave to my Minty Kiss by Victoria’s Secret lip gloss. It’s true–I cannot get enough of it! In the last month and a half I have–no joke–gone through almost four tubes. Four. However, I have recognized I have a problem and that is the first step to recovery, right? So as of today, I am buying lip gloss no longer!

Instead, I’m making peppermint cocoa lip balm :)

Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balm | www.EssentiallyEclectic.com | This homemade peppermint cocoa lip balm is easy to make, great for your lips and much more affordable than store-bought balm!

Let me just take a moment to stop and say one word very loudly: YUM! I. Love. This lip balm. Packed with only natural ingredients {none of that Polyethylene Terephthalate nonsense in the Vicky’s lip gloss}, this balm does the trick when it comes to actually moisturizing my still Boston-winter-dry lips.

So why else should you give this luscious lip balm a try? At $1.10 an ounce {or less, if you’re more patient than I am and purchase your ingredients in bulk online}, this stuff is cheap without feeling cheap. Compare that to paying upwards of $9 a tube for only half an ounce at Victoria’s Secret, only to leave your lips feeling sticky and dry when the gloss wears off!

So let’s get this lip-balm-making party started, shall we?

First, gather your ingredients:

I also used a few splashes of peppermint essential oil in this because half–no, all–of what was so addicting about the Minty Kiss gloss was the Minty part. Who doesn’t like that little tingle on your lips?? In case you don’t, however, there’s no reason you couldn’t put another oil in this–lavender essential oil or perhaps vanilla.

As for specific measurements of each ingredient, that will depend on how much mix you want to make and how big your lip balm containers are. It’s really more of an art than a science. I had three 1oz containers, so to make things easy I used a 1:1:1 ratio of beeswax to cocoa butter to coconut oil. Specifically, I used one ounce of each ingredient plus two capsules of Vitamin E and peppermint oil to taste–er–smell. All of these ingredients can easily be purchased online at Essentially Eclectic’s Favorite Things Shop.

Please note that using a 1:1:1 ratio will produce a pretty stiff balm, one that would be excellent in a chapstick tube but not necessarily in a lip balm tub unless you’re okay warming up the balm with your fingers a bit first. If you want a softer balm, add more coconut oil to the mix {i.e. more like a 1:1:2 ratio}. I prefer stiffer balms because I feel like the softer ones turn out a bit too oily for my taste, so I went with the stiffer balm. If you don’t like the stiffness of your balm, you can always dig it out of the container, re-melt it, and add more coconut oil until the balm is to your desired consistency.

Next, pull out your double boiler! Double boilers are used to cook delicate sauces or melt foods {like chocolate} that can easily burn if they get too hot too quickly. Don’t have a double boiler?

How To Make a Double Boiler

Take a small saucepan and place a metal or glass bowl over it. Voila! Double boiler. Fill the saucepan with water such that the when the water is boiling on super low, it doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Make sure that steam cannot easily escape from under the bowl, either–you don’t want condensation seeping into your lip balm!

Next, on very low heat melt your ingredients one by one, starting with the beeswax, then the coconut oil. You don’t want to expose cocoa butter to too much heat or it can scorch, so I melted it last just to be safe.

While it was melting, I cut open two capsules of Vitamin E and squeezed the contents out into my mixture. I also put in a few splashes of peppermint essential oil, possibly the equivalent of, say, 20 drops? I really like peppermint, so this may be too much for you. Add it until you feel your balm is adequately pepperminty. When everything is melted, turn off the heat and pour your beeswax into the container of your choice. I purchased these 1oz. glass tubs for a dollar each at a local natural health store. I really like glass ones because I can reuse them later:

Carefully pour your balm mixture into your containers and let them cool to room temperature. Resist the temptation to touch them before they’re completely dry if you want that pristine, freshly-poured look! Seriously, step away for an hour if you need to. Then, come back to this:

Don’t forget to wipe out your balm mix bowl with a paper towel immediately after you’re done pouring to make cleaning up easier, and never pour leftover balm mix down the drain!

Now, all that’s left to do at this point is enjoy your balms! Don’t these just look lovely??

I would love to hear how things go if you make this lip balm, so feel free to leave a comment below!

If you enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy my post on making Lavender Lotion Bars. But the fun doesn’t have to end here! Sometimes all this DIYing makes me hungry; if you’re the same way, why not try some Parmesan Zucchini Crisps or my Parmesan Wonton Chips? {I really like Parmesan–can you tell!?} And if you need a place to write down these delicious recipes, I got you covered :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

P.S. DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I will receive a small commission on products purchased through these links at no extra cost to you. Please see my FAQs and disclosure policy for more information. Thank you for supporting Essentially Eclectic! :)

***
Want to stay up to date on the latest at Essentially Eclectic?

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

Comments

1. says

What a great DIY! I still have some of these ingredients around the house from making pregnancy belly butter, so I’d love to give this a try. Just have to come up with alternatives for those lip balm containers, because I know that here in Costa Rica, they’d be mighty hard to find. Visiting from Time to Sparkle party.

• says

Thank you! You know, I’ve seen people put these in chapstick tubes or even little bead containers, for bead organization. You can order them online, too, I believe. Or you can use an old altoid tin! Just some ideas :) Hope you have a great week, and thanks for stopping by!!

hugs,
      gabby

2. says

Hi! Hopping through Whimsey Wed blog hop. This is awesome! I want to make this. I didn’t know you could buy beeswax or cocoa butter in that form. I’m thinking I could find those things at Whole Foods or any health food store? Pinned and already a follower :)
    ~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

3. says

I love finding new recipes for making things myself rather than buying them. Then I know exactly what goes into them. This looks fantastic. I love the mint, too. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

4. says

Wow Gabby, you really make nice self-caring amazing things, I really need to get my hands on those ingredients and start trying all of them as soon as I get to Miami LOL!!! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing this at Bewitch Me & Titi! Hope to have you back tomorrow with more awesome shares!

Hope you are having a lovely weekend!!!

Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty by Camila

5. says

I currently make the same recipe, just without the cocoa butter. I will try adding that as currently our high temps are making my softer balm melt too quickly. Thanks for the recipe!

6. Katrina says

Love this! Is there any substitute we can use instead of Beeswax?

What is the shelf life of the finished product?

Thanks
    Katrina

• says

You know, I’m not sure of the brand I used, to be honest! I bought it at my local naturals store, and they have this wall of different herbs, spices, salts, dried flowers, etc. and the cocoa butter was just there in a jar. I don’t think it matters the brand that you use, as long as you have some high quality cocoa butter that smells a little like chocolate you will get that nice cocoa-y smell :)

7. says

Hi!

I’m going to make these a Christmas prezzies for the ladies in my family and I’m just trying to work out measurements!
    I read that it’s 1:1:1 ratio but when you make yours what measurements do you use and how many 1oz pots does that make? Just so I can get an idea.

Thank you for the recipe, can’t wait to make them!

Milly

• says

Hi Milly! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Once upon a time I used to be pretty good at responding to comments right away…but that was once upon a time :( haha. Anyway, when I make these lotion bars I first determine the volume of my mold. I fill up a measuring glass (like a pyrex one) with water to, say, 2 cups full. Then I pour the water into the mold and see how much water I have left in my measuring cup and subtract to find out how many ounces of liquid I need, then divide by 3. So for example, I might fill up my measuring glass 2 cups full, pour out water into the mold and be left with just a half a cup of water left in the measuring cup. That means my mold holds 1.5 cups of liquid, which is 12 ounces. I then divide 12 by 3, which is 4 ounces. So I would need 4 ounces of beeswax, 4 ounces of almond oil, and 4 ounces of coconut oil, giving me a 1:1:1 ratio. I would recommend using a food scale to weigh out your ingredients. I hope that helps/makes sense! :)

8. Elizabeth says

Hi Gabby can I substitute Cocoa butter for Shea? Will I have same consistency? :) And I love your recipes they so amazing and inspiring!!!

9. Christina Gillis says

I am going to make these for gifts as part of my DIY gift baskets I’m doing this year. I have someone that can’t have cocoa anything. Is there something I can put in place of it or do I just leave it out all together? I love your DIY items! I’m also going to make the mason jar candles you have. So pretty :-)

10. Polly says

I have a questions about the coconut oil, I am allergic to coconut so is there anything that i would be able to substitute for it that would keep the same consistency? TIA!!

• says

Hi Kaitlyn,

I bought some of my ingredients at my local naturals store, but you can also purchase them online! In my amazon store I have some of the brands I use most often and that my readers have had success with. You can access my amazon shop here (affiliate link) if you want: EE’s Amazon Store [Purchasing from the store adds no additional cost to you :)]

• says

Hi Laney,

You would melt them one after the other. I first melted the beeswax (depending on if you’re using the tiny beeswax bits or a solid bar, this takes the longest to melt). Then I put in my coconut oil and let it melt (this melts very quickly), and once that’s melted I add my cocoa butter.

Hope this helps!