DIY Edible “Mud” Mask

In twenty-four days my mom is flying to Boston to visit me!! She is flying in Memorial Day weekend and spending the next few days with Josh and me, so we’re going to have a little staycation!

I love visiting my momma, and I definitely love planning trips, so I told my mom I was going to create an itinerary for her visit here so that we can pack in as much fun as possible. We’re going to walk the Freedom Trail, take a Boston Harbor cruise, visit the New England Aquarium, eat at my favorite Thai place and–my personal favorite–slather our faces with an edible “mud” mask!

DIY Edible "Mud" Mask | www.EssentiallyEclectic.com | This tutorial shows how to make a homemade edible "mud" mask using ingredients you probably already have in your pantry!

This delicious mask obviously isn’t made of mud, but it works nonetheless! This last weekend I wanted to experiment with a DIY facial mask, so I did a little research on what kinds of ingredients would be good for such a thing, and here is what I learned:

So why these ingredients?

DIY Face Mask

GREEK YOGURT contains lactic acid, which exfoliates and smooths your skin. It loosens dead skin cells, helps clear out pores and can be used to fight blemishes.

DIY Face Mask

HONEY is beneficial for all skin types because it helps the skin retain both elasticity and moisture. Because of this, honey is especially great for dry skin.

DIY Face Mask

COCOA is rich in antioxidants such as iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, to name a few. It rejuvenates the skin, leaving it soft and glowing!

DIY Face Mask

LEMON JUICE contains Vitamin C and Vitamin B. The citric acid in lemon juice exfoliates the skin, leaving it feeling smooth. Lemon juice can be applied to reduce oiliness, and it can also help diminish the appearance of scars and age spots. Be sure to avoid lots of sun exposure when applying lemon juice to the skin, and only use a little.

DIY Face Mask

BUTTERMILKis a natural pro-biotic and contains lactic acid, like Greek yogurt. It can be used to soften, brighten, tighten, and exfoliate the skin.

DIY Face Mask

BANANA functions as a face mask by itself! Applying mashed banana to one’s face leaves it feeling softer and moisturized. Bananas are rich in potassium and can be used to help heal blemishes when applied directly to the skin.

I figured if all of these things are so good for your skin, why not use them all!? So I did :)

I was thrilled when I tried this and it actually worked! When the mask dries, it leaves your skin feeling just like the store-bought masks. But unlike store bought masks, you can eat the leftovers! My “mud” mask tasted something like a chocolate banana smoothie :)

THE RECIPE

This recipe makes enough for 3-5 face masks:

• 2-3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. buttermilk
  • ¼-1/2 of a banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice

If you have dry or damaged skin, reduce or eliminate lemon juice and instead add an equivalent amount of honey. If you have particularly oily skin, use a little more lemon juice and a little less honey. My skin is some combination of the two, so I used equal amounts of both.

Mix well in a blender or food processor. Mask should be thick enough such that it does not run down your face. Always test the mask on a small portion of the skin to test for allergic reactions. The skin on your face is sensitive, so always be careful smearing anything on it! If allergy-free, apply a layer of the mask to your face and allow it to sit for 20-30 minutes. Wash off mask with cool water, followed by a splash of cold water to close your pores.

I hope you enjoyed this edible “mud” mask tutorial!

Do you have any DIY skin care recipes that you want to share? I’m always looking to try new ones! Leave a link to your favorite DIY skin care project below, or just leave some comment love if you enjoyed the post :) I love reading your comments!

***
Want to stay up to date on the latest at Essentially Eclectic?

facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

Comments

• says

Thanks Marcy!! Glad you like it :) You might want to add a little more honey for the girls if you eat the leftovers–it’s sweet-ish but I feel like a little one would prefer it a little sweeter. You’ll have to taste it and let me know your thoughts :)

1. Anonymous says

Be careful…the citric acid in lemon juice curdles dairy products such as yogurt and buttermilk. Learned that one that hard way…

• says

Absolutely–Thanks for bringing this up! I made that same mistake once too! That is why there isn’t much in this “recipe.” If you end up adding more lemon juice, I would use up as much of the mask as you can and if you plan to eat the rest, maybe add a little more honey to sweeten things up. I left my mask leftovers in the fridge for a day covered tightly in saran wrap and it seemed fine both in terms of texture and taste the next day, but I wouldn’t keep it much longer than that. I tossed the rest after–I’m super paranoid about leftovers!! You can omit the lemon juice altogether if you so desire :)

2. says

Wow! I’m so impressed by your gusto to research ingredients that were not only yummy, but good for your skin, to mix ‘em all together, and make a face masque out of them. And what a fun activity to plan to do with your Mama. She is going to love sharing so much quality mother-daughter time!

(And your photos are looking amazing, by the way. I love seeing the ingredients in those little glass bowls.)

• says

Thank you Lauren!! I’ve been wanting a new camera so I can take better pictures but it’s not in the budget right now, so I’ve been trying to experiment with different set ups and poses or whatever to keep things interesting. I’m glad to hear it’s working! And I’m glad you like the mask!

How was your trip this weekend?? :)

xoxo gabby

3. says

What a great combo! I shy away from masks, the kaolin clay bothers me…yours sounds promising :o) Pinning this & stopping by from The 36th Ave.

• says

I used to be weirded out by masks, actually. I don’t know what it was about them but they bothered me! I was okay with the peel off ones (because, hey, who doesn’t like to peel things off one’s own face, right?) but mud felt so…dirty. This “mud”, however, is quite tasty ;) Thanks for stopping by Kim! xoxo

4. says

What a great idea! Masks have always kind of freaked me out but this one looks good because I know all of the ingredients in it. Looking forward to trying it! I’m really enjoying your blog!

Emily

lovepastatoolbelt.com

5. says

Hi Emily!

Right?? Your skin, especially the skin on your face, can be a scary thing to mess with. It’s more sensitive than skin elsewhere and it’s incredibly noticeable, so you don’t want to just go slather on anything you feel like lest you be allergic or it clog your pores or it dry out your skin, etc. etc. etc.! I like knowing exactly what’s going on my face :)

Hugs!!
    Gabby

6. says

What a fun way to make a mask. I love things like this that are totally natural…love!
    Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

7. says

This looks like a great mask. I love natural alternatives. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

• says

Hello ladies! I am SO excited to link up at this par-tay! Thanks for letting me know about it! I am adding your party button to my blogroll. Thanks again, and thanks for stopping by!! Hugs, and nice to “meet” you! xoxo gabby

• says

Oh it smells so good! It was all I could do to not lick all around my lips when I was letting it sit there. What’s funny is I’ve been making a lot of DIY body care stuff so sometimes I forget what is edible and what’s not! This weekend when I made the honey almond oatmeal goat’s milk soap I tweeted about, I almost found myself sticking my finger in my mouth to lick off some soap mix that stuck to my finger!! I stopped just in time though :) lol Hope you are having a great week! I’m going to try to get the MR to go to the store and buy some beer so I can FINALLY try that beer bread! It’s so frustrating, you can’t buy alcohol in grocery stores here. I’m so used to just stopping in the beer section of the store back in AZ–I hate having to go out of my way to a separate store. Anyway, I digress. I will let you know how it goes!

• says

Alas! I saw this too late! But I think I saw the Pinteresting Party is weekly, so you bet I will add this to my Blogroll and link up on Saturday! Looking forward to it :) Thanks for letting me know!

xoxo gabby

8. says

It sounds great! I love beauty products that smell {and I guess in this case teste!} good too. Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I’ll be featuring this today. Enjoy your Sunday!
    Jenn :)

• says

Thank you Jenn! I tweeted the feature and added your button to my featured page (which, if you’re interested, you can view by going to the categories widget in the sidebar and clicking featured). It’s a badge of honor!! :) Can’t wait to link up next week!

Hugs,
      gabby

9. says

I’m totally obsessed with making masks (and all beauty products) in my kitchen! It’s the best when you can eat what you’re putting on your face because you know it’s super safe and healthy for you. Inside and out!

• says

Me too! There is something so decadent about homemade body products–like stuff from Lush but homemade and not nearly as expensive! Thanks for stopping by and leaving some comment love :) Started following! Hugs, gabby

10. says

Super cool. And sounds really fun to try. I’m totally sharing this with my readers as well. I just love your blog, it’s very well done. Thanks for sharing. I found you on Mommy Mondays.

• says

Hi Jessica! OMG that looks AWESOME! I’m going to have to give it a try :) And I love the little Altoid tins. Thank you for sharing!! Started following along!

xoxo gabby

• says

I’m glad you liked the mask recipe Lynaea! The whole thing was kind of a spontaneous I-bet-these-things-might-work-together experiment that ended up turning out better than I thought it would! Thanks for stopping by :) Started following along!

• says

No! That is a brilliant first thought! Although might I suggest taking out the lemon juice or at least adding more honey? But perhaps the lemon gives it a little kick? You’ll have to try it for yourself! :) Thanks for visiting!

11. says

Beautiful photos and a great tutorial! I knew I had to find out what was happening when I read “edible mud mask” and i’m glad I clicked on your link at the DIY Weekends!

Natashalh

• says

Thank you so much hon! The lighting for these photos was a challenge to work with but thank goodness for photoshop! I hope you enjoy the mud mask, and thank you for visiting me here :)

12. says

YUMMY! Seriously, girl…you need to open a business with this stuff! I bet it would smell INCREDIBLE! I’m your newest follower. I feel pampered just reading your blog. :)

Kylie

• says

Perhaps a day or two in the fridge? But with the lemon juice in it, possibly less than that? I get pretty nervous about eating leftovers, so when I make this I usually make it in a very small batch and eat the leftovers right when I finish!

13. Tara says

I just came across this and am going to try right now :). Can you share the name of that favorite Thai restaurant? I will be in Boston next month and love Thai food.

• says

Absolutely Tara! Now, I’m not a Thai food connoisseur but the place I really like is called Spice Thai Cuisine in Cambridge, MA. It’s at the Harvard Square stop kind of down a small street–you would have no idea its there! But it is, and it’s good! I recommend their Tofu Pad Thai and their Green Curry (< --spicy, but you can ask for less spice). My husband always gets the Thai Fried Rice. You'll have to let me know what you think! And if you're going to be in Boston, definitely schedule some time go to Mike’s Pastry!!

14. Michelle Ricks says

Since there are perishables in this recipe, would you suggest waiting to make it until the day/night before a big party?

• says

Absolutely, Michelle. I’m really paranoid about bacteria and germs and stuff, so I personally wouldn’t store it in the fridge more than a day or so! Great question :)

15. Annie says

Hi Gabby,

You have a lovely blog. I am new here and enjoying all your recipes.
    I would love to try my hand at making this mask but I would like to know, what is this mask’s shelf life?
    I am looking for a mask recipe which can have at least a month’s shelf life or more…

Can you help please…?

Many many thanks!

• says

Hi Annie! Because this mask is made with greek yogurt and other perishable foods, I only ever make enough to make 1 or 2 batches and either eat or toss my leftovers. I probably wouldn’t store the leftovers in the fridge longer than a day (but then again, I am a little weird about leftovers, so there you go). You might try my lavender and lemon oatmeal mud mask. You can make the mix and store it for a while, and then just add water or milk to a scoop of it when you’re ready to use it :)

• says

Hi Anna! I don’t think so. You could omit it and add more banana and buttermilk so you could still get that creamy texture, perhaps?

16. Amelia B. says

Does the mask realllllly help your skin? I’m doing a spa day, and only have enough time for 2 or 3 masks, so I want to do only really useful masks that produce brilliant effects on your skin.